I find that no matter what season it is Living here in Portland Oregon there is bound to be some rain. And rain means mud and mud means dirty floors. A shoe free rule would be nice but that doesn’t really help when you have a four legged 70lb dog running in and out. Hence mopping and sweeping daily is just part of the routine; the part that I cannot keep up with it the consistently dirty grout in my kitchen and bathroom. Although a good grout sealant may have helped with the task the grout was stained in spots and just didn’t look good enough to leave.
I found this great product at Lowe’s called Mapei Grout Refresh – what is amazing about this product is how easy it is use. Steps:
- Clean your grout well – I used a peroxide and baking soda paste.
- Apply Grout Refresh with a toothbrush to the grout, and don’t worry about the excess getting on the tiles (unlike many other products I researched).
- Let Dry for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Mist the Tiles with water let stand for 5 minutes.
- Get a sponge and whip of the excess (the bottle said scrub off the excess but I found that it wiped off with hardly any elbow grease).
- Don’t mop the floor with water for I think 12 hours.
So now I will have to see how it holds up over traffic and time, but even if I have to touch up spots it was such an easy application process I won’t mind.
Lowes didn’t have that many colors in stock but there are lots available online. The Mapei website has lots of cool looking products I am going to have to keep in mind if I ever find myself in the middle of a remodel.